...well, sort of. You who are mothers know that there are many times when we would just like to escape our crazy lives, run away and be by ourselves. Well, this weekend, I did just that! I have been feeling the need to have some time to myself for quite a while now. So, on Friday, I left the kids with Josh's mom and drove up to Park City. I had such a great time! I went shopping at the outlets and then went to dinner at a great restaraunt on Main Street called the Purple Sage, which I would highly recommend. I had the butternut squash ravioli with carmelized onions, apples, pumpkin seeds and fresh sage. I haven't enjoyed food that much in such a long time! Usually, I eat in about 2 minutes so I can help everybody else with their food! Then, I headed back to my hotel and exercised, and started reading "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer. It's pretty good, but no "Twilight." Then, my cute friends from my neighborhood came up and we just sat around and talked until about 1 a.m.! It was so much fun getting to know them all better. They are so wonderful.
The next day, I slept in until 8:30 (I know, sad that I say that is sleeping in), watched some TV and drove back down to Salt Lake around noon. I went to The Dodo for lunch and then to the Breathe Day Spa where I used a gift certificate my mom had given me months ago for a massage. It was so relaxing and much needed!
To any of you who need a break, I would highly recommend doing this. It helped me remember that even though I am a full time mom and I don't have a lot of time to myself, I need to MAKE time. My mother-in-law used the analogy of an empty bucket. When your bucket is empty, you don't have anything left to give. This weekend helped my reconnect with myself and refill my bucket so that hopefully, I can be a better mother, wife, daughter, and friend. Thank you to everyone who encouraged me to not feel guilty about going, but helped make it possible for me to "run away."
9 comments:
Ooh, that massage at the spa was my favorite part of this post :) Thanks for letting me live vicariously for a few minutes! Thank you also for reminding me that I need to "run away" very soon. Loved that empty bucket analogy. So true!
soooo jealous! i need to do that. bad.
Liz, Never, never feel guilty about having some time to yourself...little dumplings are wonderful but very demanding and energy-sapping...it has been a long, cold winter...I am so glad you took advantage or Jani's advice and filled that bucket up! This week is going to be a good one...I love you! Your mom (who is flying away Wednesday morning and won't see her wonderful little dumplings for TWO WEEKS!) We will call you on the l8th to find out how Parks is doing after his MINOR surgery on his ears and adnoids...on the little guy!
sounds like a great idea, good for you!
Hm. I guess I "run away" a lot and I don't even have kids to take care of. I live a selfish life. Sigh.
where was my phone call? seriously, once i stop nursing this young one, i'm jumping ship for at least 27.5 hours. good for you.
Liz, sounds dreamy! I'm glad you had a nice time!
Psh. Laura.
Yeah that sounds absolutely perfect. The night I got stuck at the hotel in Lehi due to the white out- was REALLY nice other than the life-threatening storm. The hotel, the bed, the no worrying about bath time and clean up...it was amazing.
Our prayers are with Parker...obviously we can relate :)
Hi there, good for you. I am a full time Dad. I try to get out once a week for a couple hours to fish or whatever. I really need that and my wife is kind enough to give it to me. I think Moms have a harder time letting go and taking time for themselves. I try to get my wife to do things like that, but she feels guilty enough just going to work every day. If I could make a suggestion, give yourself a couple hours a week, it is nice to not have to do it all on an empty tank.
Post a Comment