Sunday, August 23, 2009

Visiting the Grand with the Grands!


This last week, Luke, Ellie, Parker and I went to Jackson Hole with my mom and dad, my sister Sara, her husband Rich and their two kids, Mary and Owen. Unfortunately, Josh wasn't able to join us. :( He is in China again. Even though we missed Josh a lot, we still managed to have a good time.

Luke loved being outside with Grandpa John. They visited the river and watched for fish, went on nature walks and searched for animals. I think Luke is going to be our "nature boy!"
Ellie loved spending time with Grandma Suzi! She also loved posing for several pictures!


Here we are in front of the Tetons!

Here are the kids at the top of the tram at Teton Village.

On the tram!


Luke and Baby Owen with Grandma at Teton Village


I have such great memories from my childhood of visiting Jackson Hole and Yellowstone. I haven't been for about thirteen years, so it was fun to go back. That being said, taking little kids on a trip like this is a lot of work! For example, on Friday we decided to take a trip up to Yellowstone. I remember being fascinated by Old Faithful and the beautiful waterfalls. I also remember seeing lots of wildlife. Well, it took us over two hours (because of construction) to drive to Old Faithful. Luckilly, we got there just in time to see it erupt! Luke thought it was great. The other two could have cared less. Our next obstacle was a closed road between Old Faithful and the falls. It would have taken us another 2 1/2 hours to take the detour to the falls! So, we decided to turn around and head back down to Jackson. Basically, we drove about six hours round trip to watch about one minute of Old Faithful! No wildlife were seen, and I didn't take a single picture!

Saturday was much better. We took the kids to Jenny Lake. I love this place! It is so beautiful. I love the smell, I love the scenery, I love the water, and I love how peaceful it is. We took the kids on the boat across the lake. They had a blast. Then, we took them on a little hike. They all did a great job!





Being in Jackson Hole again with my mom and dad reminded me of my childhood. We haven't taken a trip to the mountains for a long time and I realized how much I missed it. Thanks Mom and Dad for introducing me to the beautiful world we live in, and thanks for coming with us on this trip and helping me introduce my own children to the beauty of the mountains.
















6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pics! We have yet to take our kids to Jackson Hole. We need to plan a Nielsen Family vacation there. Maybe in place of Sun Valley? I'm glad you had a good time. It's so fun to have these great trips to make memories for the little ones. Love you guys!

MooreInterest said...

Welcome Back! It looks like you had a great time! Especially Luke with Grandpa! Too cute! Our week is super quiete, come over and play!

Unknown said...

Grandma Suzi here to say we had such fun hanging out with the grandkids...watching Old FAithful spout off after a LONG ride was a fun memory...riding my bike while Mary rode hers...cuddling with baby Owen...herding kids everywhere...watching their excitement while trying to spot the "wild life" (we did see a red-tail fox!), an offspray, and , and, and I think that's it)...just being together with the fam was great, sharing meals, laughs, meltdowns...the whole ball of wax. grandma and grandpa are ready for a long nap! And I bet the mom's are ready for one too! Thanks for a great time! And way to go Uncle Rich...another Teton Climb!

Amy M. said...

Glad you had a good trip. We're doing in a week. Must get more details.

nic said...

Looks like a fun trip to Jackson. Always fun to be with your parents. It was good to see your cute kids at the park the other day. They are getting so big.

Lisa Marie Trent said...

We may go to Jackson in October. So I may ask you for some TIPS on what NOT to do in Jackson with little kids. :)

Looks like so much fun though..