Friday, January 30, 2009
I'm Thankful For the Prison
I know, this is a strange title for this blog. Today, we were driving to Highland to visit our good friends. To get there, we pass the prison. For some reason, my kids are fascinated with the prison. They want to know why you go there, why you have to wear certain clothes, what you eat there, etc. Luck would have it that as we were passing by the prison today, we were talking about making good and bad choices. I was explaining to them that if you make a good choice, like eating your dinner, you will grow big and strong. If you make a bad choice like hitting your sibling, you get in trouble and have to go in your room, by yourself with the door closed. I told them that people who make really bad choices go to prison. Luke said, "So if I'm mean to Parker, will the police come and get me and take me to prison?" Now, I really wanted to say yes, just so the fighting at my house would stop. Instead, I explained that at our house, I am like the police. I want to make sure they make right choices so that they can grow up and make right choices as adults. This was the first time I think the "make a choice, face the consequence" talk actually worked! We'll see if it will sink in or not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I need to start making drives out to the prison with the kids!!!
That does it. I'm taking Will on a tour tomorrow.
I love it! You should come and visit more often. We had a great time and look forward to tomorrow- assuming Ellie is on the mend :)
Post a Comment